Christmas Spirit: Join FriendShip Prague to Support the Homeless
Christmas, traditionally a time of joy, cheer, and good times, is an especially lonely, sad & challenging time for homeless individuals.
FriendShip Prague is an English-speaking NGO that provides support and friendship to people in need in Prague. Every Saturday they meet and serve approximately 80 people: everybody’s story is different.
Only some of them have temporary low-wage jobs; many have both physical and mental health issues that prohibit them from finding work, remaining employed, and maintaining housing. Only a few have a roof over their heads, but they still struggle to afford groceries.
How can you help them help homeless people, particularly at Christmas?
- First, with temperatures dropping, your donations of winter necessities and canned food can save lives and make the season more bearable for those who are less fortunate. The most needed items are currently warm clothing, shoes, blankets, and sleeping bags, but also more nutritious meals such as canned legumes, meat, and fish (which, while providing proteins, can be easily carried, and consumed on the streets). More information can be found HERE
- FriendShip Prague has also launched another FILL A CHRISTMAS SOCK FOR THE HOMELESS campaign, and you can support homeless people by purchasing a pair of warm socks and filling one of them with travel-size toiletries and sweets. You can find detailed video instructions HERE The socks will be distributed as a Christmas gift to people sleeping rough on the streets and at the shelters. While the collection of clothing and canned food will go on throughout the entire winter season, the Christmas socks campaign’s deadline is December 16th. Drop-off is possible at Dum Radost(office 208), every Friday from 4:30 to 6:30 PM or on Saturdays between 1:00 and 3:00 PM.
- A charity yoga and breakfast event will take place on December 10th, from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm, and all proceeds will go towards purchasing extra winter necessities such as neck warmers, gloves, hats, etc. For full details and information on how to register, you can go to Instagram or Facebook
- For those who want to contribute financially, they can do so through DARUJME . Without any government fundings, every bit counts, and your generosity can make a significant difference in the lives of those less fortunate.
- Provide their homeless friends with food and other necessities, it’s equally important to provide them with experiences and spend quality time together! For this reason, they have planned to spend an afternoon with them by watching a Christmas movie together. The screening will take place at Komunitní centrum Husitská on December 15th at 5:00 pm and everyone is welcome to join.
- Finally, on Saturday, December 23rd, at 2:00 pm, the annual Christmas gathering with the homeless will take place at Bike Jesus (Ostrov Stvanice 1125, Holesocvie). 100 traditional Czech meals, warm food and drinks, stuffed Christmas socks, presents, new winter necessities, and sleeping bags will be distributed to warm their hearts and bodies along with music and other surprises! In order to participate, please make sure to fill out this FORM. By doing so, you will help FriendShip Prague plan and organize all the volunteers’ activities.
Friendship has become a beacon in the local expat community! The participatory model and the use of English have allowed and promoted the integration of people from different nationalities and backgrounds, facilitating their contribution and positive impact on the organization and local community!
Subscribe for our daily news