A ban on fires including smoking in Prague at places with a high fire risk is now in effect due to dry conditions. It will be in place until the Czech Hydrometeorological Institute (ČHMÚ) changes the declared risk level.
Prohibited activities include:
- making or keeping open fires;
- smoking (with the exception of electronic cigarettes);
- using pyrotechnic articles (fireworks);
- using flying lanterns, other lanterns or torches;
- throwing burning or smoldering objects;
- using water from a firefighting source for purposes other than extinguishing fires
Czech firefighters said the most frequent causes of fires they had to put out were human neglect, technical defects of vehicles and machines. Cigarette stubs and campfires cause fires of grass and forests.